Monday, November 09, 2009


While I am in this limbo period I am at a bit of a loss as to what I should be doing with myself. I have been listening to Vince Guaraldi's lilting, soft piano sounds which always make blustery fall blues more bearable, warm and suddenly fuzzy. I went running up to the top of Mount Tabor and began losing myself in it's winding ways, found myself drinking rose with pals and eating their home-cooked, love-stewed meals, spent time reading plays and pioneering narratives and contemplating over the lives and thoughts of rugged, spirited creatures like John Muir and Lewis and Clark and Opal Whiteley and imagined the long days of Louisa May Alcott and was charmed by her old journal writings. I walked around listening to musicals on my headphones and all of their "I Wish!" openings and springy optimism. I got briefly obsessed with Stephen Sondheim, particularly the complicated triumph of Sunday in the Park with George and the weird vignettes that make up Company and the vivacious breakthrough that he and Jerome Robbins made with West Side Story. I drank fortifying coffee, read edifying poetry, woke one morning and did the sun salutation next to my bed. I have not, however, cleaned or packed a thing, and spend every day wondering if small pleasures are big exercises in procrastination.

No comments: